Dabinett cider apple tree
Dabinett is a traditional English cider apple variety, producing a bittersweet juice.
Dabinett cider apple trees for sale
Small 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 6ft-9ft after 10 years
A classic English hard cider apple variety, which produces a full bittersweet juice. It is also one of the most reliable and easy cider varieties to grow.
Unlike many hard cider varieties which are best-used for blended ciders, Dabinett can also be used to produce a single-varietal full-bodied medium-dry cider.
Note that Dabinett apples are not suitable for eating fresh, they can only be used for producing juice for hard cider.
How to grow
Dabinett is one of the most reliable cider varieties, with above average disease resistance.
Production is towards the higher end of the scale for cider varieties, e.g. 35-40 tonnes per hectare in north-west France. In fact over-production is a potential issue with this variety, and it is best to thin the fruitlets every spring to ensure a smaller (but more flavorful) crop which will keep the tree bearing regularly.
Dabinett also tends to bear heavily from a young age, and it is especially important with this variety to make sure you let the tree reach a good size before allowing fruiting to start.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Dabinett originates from the traditional cider region of Somerset, England in the mid-19th century. It is possibly a seedling of Chisel Jersey.
- Gardening skillBeginner
- Pollination group6
- Pollinating othersAverage
- Bearing regularityRegular
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonVery late
- UsesHard cider
- Juice styleBittersweet (cider)
- General resistanceGood
- FireblightSome resistance
- ScabSome resistance
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(5) -20F / -29C
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Chill requirementHigh-chill Flowering likely to be delayed if insufficient chill hours over winter.
- Country of originUnited Kingdom
- Period of origin1850 - 1899
- Flesh colourWhite
- Fruit colorRed - dark
- Fruit sizeAverage