Mutsu apple tree
- Picking season: Late
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Pollination group: 3
Mutsu (or Crispin) is a high quality apple from Japan, with a good flavor, and also sharp enough for cooking.
Mutsu apple trees for sale
Medium 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 8ft-12ft after 10 years
Our inventory is up to date, you can pre-order now for the spring 2024 planting season.
Mutsu is an unusually versatile apple. Its large size and juicy acidity make it an excellent apple for the kitchen. Slices keep their shape when baked, but it can also be cooked for apple sauce, and slices can be dried too.
Mutsu's Golden Delicious parentage also lends it an excellent sweet flavor for eating fresh, particularly if you like sharper apples. In a good year from a good tree, Mutsu's crisp sharp-sweet flavor can be very good indeed.
In short this is an apple with many talents, and one of that select band of apple varieties that is equally good for eating fresh or in the kitchen.
How to grow
Mutsu is a triploid variety, so not a good pollinator for other apple varieties.
Disease resistance is not the greatest, but like all triploid varieties it is a strong-growing tree that can tolerate a few problems, and in practice it is quite easy to grow.
Mutsu likes a warm climate but with cool fall nights.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Mutsu was developed in Japan in the 1930s, and is a cross between Golden Delicious and Indo. It has become steadily popular in both North America and Europe.
It is widely known by its alternative name, Crispin.
- Gardening skillAverage
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group3
- Pollinating othersPoor
- Bearing regularityBiennial tendency
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonLate
- UsesEating freshCulinaryJuiceDual purpose
- Keeping (of fruit)3 months or more
- Flavor style (apples)Sweet/Sharp
- Cooking resultKeeps shape
- General resistancePoor
- FireblightSome susceptibility
- ScabSome susceptibility
- Cedar apple rustSome susceptibility
- MildewSome resistance
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(5) -20F / -29C
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)Hot (>30C / 86F)
- Chill requirementLow-chill - 600 hours
- Country of originJapan
- Period of origin1900 - 1949
- Fruit colorGreen
A large sweet-flavored crisp eating apple from Japan.