Melrose apple tree
Malus domestica 'Melrose'
Melrose is a Jonathan-style apple, with a sweet flavor and good storage life.
Melrose apple trees for sale
Medium 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 8ft-12ft after 10 years
You can pre-order now for shipping in the spring 2023 planting season.
Melrose is a well-regarded American apple, with an attractive red-flushed skin.
Melrose is very similar to Jonathan, one of the best-flavored American apples - and one of its parents. The other parent is Red Delicious, and its sweet flavor complements the sharper flavors of Jonathan well.
The apples store well - they can be kept for 3 months in a fridge, and the flavor is arguably at its best after a month or so of storage.
How to grow
Its Red Delicious parentage ensures Melrose grows vigorously and productively. Melrose has a tendency to over-crop so it is a good idea to thin the fruitlets in late May.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Melrose was developed in the late 1930s at the Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station, Wooster, Ohio.
It is grown commercially on a small scale in the USA and Europe, and a number of sports exist, usually featuring better skin coloration.
- Gardening skillBeginner
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group3
- Pollinating othersAverage
- Bearing regularityRegular
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonLate
- UsesEating fresh
- Keeping (of fruit)3 months or more
- Flavor style (apples)Sweet/Sharp
- General resistanceAverage
- FireblightSome susceptibility
- CankerSome susceptibility
- ScabSome susceptibility
- Cedar apple rustSome resistance
- MildewSome susceptibility
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(4) -30F / -34C
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)
- Chill requirementHigh-chill 1000 hours
- Country of originUnited States
- Period of origin1900 - 1949
- Flesh colourCream
- Fruit colorRed - dark
- Fruit sizeAverage