Scarlett O'HaraTM apple tree
- Picking season: Late
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Pollination group: 4
Scarlett O'Hara is a modern disease-resistant red eating apple,
Scarlett O'Hara apple trees for sale
Medium 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 8ft-12ft after 10 years
Scarlett O'Hara is a modern disease-resistant eating apple, with - as the name suggests - a bright red-flushed skin. The flavor is sweet/sharp with a moderately crisp texture.
Scarlett O'Hara apples ripen over an extended period from the middle to the end of the season. The apples keep well, and can be kept in a fridge or cold store for more than 3 months without loss of quality. The flavor improves for the first 1-2 months.
How to grow
Scartlett O'Hara has good resistance to scab, cedar-apple rust, and mildew, so qualifies as a disease-resistant apple - but it is not a good choice in areas prone to fireblight as it is quite susceptible.
For best fruit quality and size be sure to thin the crop in June if necessary. This will also help prevent any tendency towards biennial bearing. In other respects this is a productive and grower-friendly variety.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Scarlett O'Hara was developed by the well-regarded PRI co-operative of Purdue, Rutgers and Illinois universities, and often known by its research name of Co-op 25. It was released in 1984. It incorporates the natural scab resistance of Malus floribunda crab-apple as one of its distant ancestors. Its closest ancestors are Red Rome (from which it probably inherits its red coloring) and Golden Delicious.
Scarlett O'Hara characteristics
- Gardening skillAverage
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group4
- Pollinating othersAverage
- Bearing regularityBiennial tendency
- Fruit bearingPartial tip-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonLate
- CroppingHeavy - Poor fruit size if allowed to over-crop.
- Keeping (of fruit)3 months or more
- Flavor style (apples)Sharper
- Juice styleSweeter
- General resistanceGood
- FireblightVery susceptible
- ScabVery resistant
- Cedar apple rustSome susceptibility
- MildewSome resistance
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Country of originUnited States
- Period of origin1950 - 1999
- Fruit colorRed
- Fruit sizeAverage