Belle de Boskoop apple tree
A versatile and popular dual-purpose 19th century Dutch apple, still grown commercially in Europe.
Belle de Boskoop apple trees for sale
Sorry we have not produced any trees of this variety this season.
Belle de Boskoop is a well-regarded 19th century apple, from the town of Boskoop in the Netherlands, and still grown commercially on a small scale in Europe.
It is a classic long-storing dual-purpose apple, versatile in the kitchen, and good for eating fresh if you like a sharper apple.
The relatively large apples are variable in colour, usually a functional green with orange or red flushes and some russeting. The pink and white spring blossom is pretty.
How to grow
Belle de Boskoop is a vigorous-growing tree, with good disease-resistance, and producing large apples - typical of a triploid variety. It is therefore very easy to grow, but whilst it is readily pollinated by most other mid-bloom apple varieties, it will not cross-pollinate with them.
The only real disadvantage of Belle de Boskoop is that it can be slow to come into bearing, particularly on the more vigorous rootstocks. However once it starts, cropping is generally good and regular, and it has the potential to be a long-lived tree.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Belle de Boskoop was raised in the town of Boskoop, Netherlands, in the 1850s by K.J.W Ottolander.
Belle de Boskoop characteristics
- Gardening skillAverage
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group3
- Pollinating othersPoor
- Bearing regularityRegular
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonLate
- UsesEating freshCulinaryDual purpose
- Keeping (of fruit)3 months or more
- Flavor style (apples)Sharper
- Cooking resultKeeps shape
- Juice styleSharper
- General resistanceGood
- CankerSome resistance
- ScabVery resistant
- MildewSome resistance
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(4) -30F / -34C(5) -20F / -29C(6) -10F / -23C(7) 0F / -18C(8) 10F / -12C(9) 20F / -7C(10) 30F / -1C
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)Hot (>30C / 86F)Cold (< 20C / 67F)
- Country of originNetherlands
- Period of origin1850 - 1899
- Flesh colourCream
- Fruit colorGreen / RedOrange / RedRusset
- Fruit sizeLarge
- AwardsRHS AGM (current)RHS AM