Bedan des Parts cider apple tree
Malus domestica 'Bedan des Parts'
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Pollination group: 6
- Uses: Hard cider
A traditional French bittersweet cider variety, with some resistance to fireblight.
Bedan des Parts cider apple trees for sale
Medium 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 8ft-12ft after 10 years
Bedan des Parts is a traditional French hard-cider variety, widely-grown in the cider-producing region of Normandy. It produces a good quality bittersweet juice, usually blended with other varieties.
The apples are typically harvested towards the end of November, when the skin has turned from yellow-green to golden-orange.
How to grow
In traditional French orchards production on mature trees will be in the range 30-35 tonnes per hectare, which is above average for French cider varieties.
Bedan flowers very late - towards the end of May or early June. This makes it a good choice for areas prone to late frosts, but you will need other late-blooming apple varieties nearby to help with pollination.
Bedan is regarded as susceptible to fireblight and scab in French orchards. However the mild temperate climate of north-western France is quite different to the continental climate of much of the USA, where it appears to have some resistance to fireblight.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
The origins of this variety are unknown, but it has been grown since the mid-19th century.
Bedan des Parts characteristics
- Gardening skillAverage
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group6
- Pollinating othersAverage
- Bearing regularityRegular
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonVery late
- UsesHard cider
- Keeping (of fruit)1-2 months
- Juice styleBittersweet (cider)
- General resistanceAverage
- FireblightSome resistance
- ScabVery susceptible
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(5) -20F / -29C(6) -10F / -23C(7) 0F / -18C(8) 10F / -12C(9) 20F / -7C(10) 30F / -1C
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)
- Country of originFrance
- Period of origin1850 - 1899
- Flesh colourWhite
- Fruit colorGreen / YellowOrange
- Fruit sizeSmall