Wolf River apple tree
Wolf River is the perfect cooking apple for the north - reliable, cold-hardy, disease resistant.
Wolf River apple trees for sale
1Small 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 6ft-9ft after 10 years
2Medium 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 8ft-12ft after 10 years
3Large 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 10ft-16ft after 10 years
You can pre-order now for shipping in the spring 2023 planting season.
If you are looking for a completely reliable disease-resistant cooking apple, which will thrive in the north country, this is it.
Wolf River is a very large culinary apple, with a good tart flavor, dating back to the 19th century. It is best used in the kitchen, and slices will keep their shape when cooked. Wolf River applesauce often has an attractive pale pink color.
This is a fool-proof variety which will keep you supplied with heavyweight apples with little effort on your part.
How to grow
Wolf River pre-dates the development of modern disease-resistant apples, but has a high resistance to scab, mildew, and fireblight.
The tree is also exceptionally winter-hardy, long-lived and productive.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Found in Wolf River, Wisconsin, around 1875. Thought to be a seedling of a Russian variety called Alexander.
Wolf River characteristics
- Gardening skillBeginner
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group3
- Pollinating othersAverage
- Bearing regularityRegular
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonLate
- UsesCulinaryJuiceTraditional cooker
- Keeping (of fruit)3 months or more
- Flavor style (apples)Sweeter
- Cooking resultKeeps shape
- General resistanceGood
- FireblightSome susceptibility
- CankerSome resistance
- ScabVery resistant
- Cedar apple rustSome resistance
- MildewVery resistant
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(4) -30F / -34C
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Country of originUnited States
- Period of origin1850 - 1899
An unusual apple / crab-apple cross, with distinctive red-flesh.