Grimes Golden apple tree
- Picking season: Late
- Self-fertility: Self-fertile
- Pollination group: 3
A high quality apple, Grimes Golden is probably the parent of Golden Delicious, but with a richer flavor.
Grimes Golden apple trees for sale
Small 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 6ft-9ft after 10 years
We are now accepting pre-orders for the spring 2024 planting season.
Grimes Golden is of historical interest as the probable parent of Golden Delicious, and is usually considered to have a richer flavor than its offspring. Spicy sweetness is perhaps the best way to describe it.
It is green/yellow in color, changing to yellow in storage. The apples store well and have a high sugar content.
How to grow
Grimes Golden has a narrower climate range than Golden Delicious, being traditionally an apple for the central and eastern states, zones 5 and 6, and not especially winter hardy. Grimes Golden is generally productive but not necessarily a regular bearer, which was one of the main reasons it was replaced by Golden Delicious as a commercial apple - however the home grower is likely to put up with Grimes Golden's uncertain productivity as a trade-off for its richer flavor.
In a good spring the fruitlets may require thinning. Fruit size is generally larger in the higher zones.
It is self-fertile and (like Golden Delicious) a good pollinator for other apple varieties.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
West Virginia, early 19th century.
Grimes Golden characteristics
- Gardening skillAverage
- Pollination group3
- Pollinating othersGood
- Bearing regularityRegular
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonLate
- UsesEating freshCulinaryJuice
- Keeping (of fruit)3 months or more
- Flavor style (apples)Sweeter
- General resistanceAverage
- FireblightSome resistance
- ScabSome susceptibility
- Cedar apple rustSome resistance
- MildewSome resistance
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(5) -20F / -29C
- Summer maximum temperaturesWarm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Country of originUnited States
- Period of origin1800 - 1849
- Fruit colorGreen / Yellow