Almata apple tree
Malus domestica 'Almata'
Almata is a red-fleshed apple, with an acidic flavor. The blossom is deep red.
Almata apple trees for sale
Medium 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 8ft-12ft after 10 years
Our inventory is up to date, you can pre-order now for the spring 2024 planting season.
Almata is a red-fleshed apple variety closely related to the red-fleshed crab-apple Malus niedzwetzkyana. The apples are dark red, with a soft red flesh, producing a pink juice. The blossom is dark pink, the leaves are a dull bronze-green color, and even the wood has a pink stained appearance.
The apples ripen early in the season and do not keep.
The flavor is poor, not really suitable for eating fresh.
Despite these poor characteristics Almata has proven quite popular because of its apparent health benefits - the anthocyanin pigments which give the apple its distinctive dark red appeance are rich in anti-oxidants.
How to grow
Like many other red-fleshed varieties Almata flowers very early in the blossom season.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Almata was developed by Niels Hansen at the South Dakota Experimental Station. His interest in red-fleshed apples was inspired by a research visit to central Russia in 1897 where he met the Russian botanist Niedzwetzky at Almaty in present-day Kazakhstan. Niedzwetzky was the discoverer of Malus niedzwetzkyana, a unique red-fleshed crab-apple growing wild in that area.
- Gardening skillExperienced
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group1
- Pollinating othersPoor
- Bearing regularityBiennial tendency
- Fruit bearingPartial tip-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonEarly
- Keeping (of fruit)1 week
- Flavor style (apples)Sharper
- Juice styleSharper
- General resistanceAverage
- FireblightSome susceptibility
- ScabSome susceptibility
- MildewSome resistance
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(5) -20F / -29C(6) -10F / -23C(7) 0F / -18C(8) 10F / -12C
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Country of originUnited States
- Period of origin1900 - 1949
- Flesh colourPink / Red
- Fruit colorRed - dark
- Fruit sizeSmall
Pink Pearl features bright pink flesh, and pink apple blossom.
An unusual apple / crab-apple cross, with distinctive red-flesh.