President plum tree
Prunus domestica 'President'
A late-season English dual-purpose plum, notable for heavy crops of large plums.
President european plums for sale
Full-size 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 16ft-24ft after 10 years
President is a popular English plum, mainly used for cooking and drying.
The dark blue-purple fruits are amongst the largest of any plum, and can be kept refrigerated for 2-3 weeks. The stone comes away from the yellow flesh quite easily.
President is one of the latest-ripening plums, and a good choice for plum growers looking to extend the season.
How to grow
President is easy to grow and should bear regularly and heavily.
President tree have quite brittle wood, and this combined with the tendency to over-crop can lead to branches breaking under the weight of fruit. The risk of this can be reduced by encouraging wide branch angles when the tree is young, and by paying attention to fruit thinning.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
President was introduced by the English nurseryman Thomas Rivers in 1901.
- Gardening skillBeginner
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group3
- Pollinating othersAverage
- Bearing regularityRegular
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonLate
- UsesEating freshCulinaryDrying
- Keeping (of fruit)1 week
- General resistanceAverage
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Country of originUnited Kingdom
- Period of origin1850 - 1899
- Fruit colorPurple