SundanceTM apple tree
A high-quality late-season eating apple, with excellent flavor and disease-resistant qualities.
Sundance apple trees for sale
1Small 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 6ft-9ft after 10 years
2Medium 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 8ft-12ft after 10 years
3Large 1-year bare-root tree
Mature height: 10ft-16ft after 10 years
You can pre-order now for shipping in the spring 2023 planting season.
Sundance is a high-quality late-season disease-resistant apple, aimed at commercial growers and backyard orchardists.
The flesh is very crisp and snaps cleanly, and the flavor is initially sharp and tangy, but sweetens and becomes more complex in storage.
As well as great flavor, Sundance has excellent disease-resistance.
Please note that Sundance is a trademarked and patented variety, and purchasers agree not to propagate or distribute the trees. In addition, customer address details may be made available to the licence holder if requested.
How to grow
Sundance is best grown in warmer zones because it needs a long growing period to produce the best flavors. It has a relatively low chill requirement too.
The apples will ripen over a period on the tree.
Advice on fruit tree pollination.
Sundance was developed in the 1960s by the PRI co-operative of Purdue, Rutgers, and Illinois universities. It is widely-known by its research designation of "Co-op 29".
- Gardening skillAverage
- Self-fertilityNot self-fertile
- Pollination group4
- Pollinating othersAverage
- Bearing regularityBiennial tendency
- Fruit bearingSpur-bearer
- WildlifeRHS Plants for Pollinators
- Picking seasonLate
- UsesEating fresh
- Keeping (of fruit)3 months or more
- Flavor style (apples)Sharper
- General resistanceGood
- FireblightVery resistant
- ScabVery resistant
- Cedar apple rustVery resistant
- MildewSome resistance
- Cold hardiness (USDA)(5) -20F / -29C
- Summer maximum temperaturesCool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Chill requirementLow-chill 500 hours
- Country of originUnited States
- Period of origin1950 - 1999
- Flesh colourCream
- Fruit colorGreen / Yellow
- Fruit sizeLarge